Wednesday, April 4, 2007

The Father will honor whoever serves me // the Lord God helps me

John's Gospel is my favorite. Not surprising. It seems to be the favorite of many people. Anyway, being that it is my favorite, when I look up an event in Jesus' life I usually turn to John. In my imagining, I can see Jesus saying,
"Whoever loves his love loses it, and whoever hates his life in this world will preserve it in for eternity. Whoever serves me must follow me, and where I am, there also will be my servant be. The Father will honor whoever serves me (John 12:25-26).",
on the Wednesday before His death. I'm not a bible scholar or even moderately well studied, but that goes on my personl timeline for today, roughly 1970 years ago. It isn't part of the Gospel reading in Mass today (see Matthew 26:14-25 for that) but sure seems to mesh well with the Old Testament reading.
The first reading is from Isaiah 50:
The Lord GOD has given me the tongue of those who are taught, that I may know how to sustain with a word him that is weary. Morning by morning he wakens, he wakens my ear to hear as those who are taught. The Lord GOD has opened my ear, and I was not rebellious, I turned not backward. I gave my back to the smiters, and my cheeks to those who pulled out the beard; I hid not my face from shame and spitting. For the Lord GOD helps me; therefore I have not been confounded; therefore I have set my face like a flint, and I know that I shall not be put to shame; he who vindicates me is near. Who will contend with me? Let us stand up together. Who is my adversary? Let him come near to me. Behold, the Lord GOD helps me; who will declare me guilty? Behold, all of them will wear out like a garment; the moth will eat them up. (4-9)
Peace.

No comments: