Sunday, April 1, 2007

You don't say?

I don't know that I have ever said the line, "Crucify Him. Crucify Him.", as a member of the crowd during the Palm Sunday Gospel. Other lines are rough, but I have said them to be in "communion" with the rest of the congregation. Everytime that I have done that, I think that there had to have been people in the real crowd who went along with everyone else because that is the thing you do when part of a group. There had to have been people who sensed the injustice, yet they did as those around them.
Were there many people who cried at Christ's death, yet had that same day mocked or otherwise betrayed Him? If so, who were they and how did that impact them? Did the reality of what they had done ultimately strengthen or break them; did it cause them to cast aside their old ways or, perhaps, to crumble under the weight of it all? Or were they only momentarily saddened without that day leaving a prolonged impact upon their earthly lives?
Now, more than 2000 years later, I go along with the crowd - saying almost all of the lines - for the sake of "communion." Might that not be worse? In the recreation, I knowingly take on a despicable role. It is important that we each know that we are a part of the Body and that as a part we must function with the other parts, yet if one foot steps in a hole should the other? Or should the other jump to avoid the hole. How does one discern what is prudence, as opposed to disobedience? Independence can be a matter of a prideful being. By its nature, pride is devoid of humility and for a person to lack humility is for them to lack God.
Oh, I have no idea where I'm going with this. I have given myself and my family over to the Church and her teachings, so I guess I should even say the line that I find so distasteful. It seems odd to offer the disgust of uttering the words to the Lord (after all, I will be saying things against Him) but that might be the way.
I'm nodding off, so I'll leave this entry as it is. Hopefully, it isn't too poor. Peace.

No comments: