Tuesday, February 20, 2007

And the journey begins...

Okay, this is the first entry. As I stand here, posed before the bloggosphere, I have to say that I don't know what I'm doing.

This is a lenten exercise. I'm going to try to be a faithful blogger for the forty days of Lent. Although I'd like to say that I will make an entry every day, my attempts at journaling indicate that I'm desperately unfaithful to the practice of daily writing. May the Lord bless my attempts.

Today is "Shrove Tuesday" - "Fat Tuesday" - "Pancake Day" - "Mardi Gras" - the day before Ash Wednesday. In my area, Pennsylvania Dutch Country, many people make a point of eating a donut called a "fastnacht." It used to be that people would eat only the plainest of foods during Lent; therefore, baked goods were verboten for those forty days. These potato donuts were made to use up the fat and flour in households before the fast commenced. I've never made fastnachts, but like the idea of getting ready for the period in which we get ready for Easter.

This entry is my fastnacht. It may not be tasty, but it does get me prepared for this blogging task. If someone actually reads this and wants a recipe for fastnachts: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Nanas-Fastnachts/Detail.aspx

Although I've never made these donuts, Allrecipes.com is my favorite place to find recipes on the net and trust any recipe there that is rated favorably. Have a bit of a nosh for me! Peace.

No comments: