Saturday, March 17, 2007

Saturday before Easter

I wonder if I can ever be truly humble. I mean really humble - walk on me, I don't notice sort of humble. Splash water on me while you are washing the floor and I'll eventually ask you if you realize that you are doing that. Continue to splash me, and I'll either have a laughing fit at the absurdity of it all or I'll ask you to stop splashing. Even if it were no big deal to me, if you were consistantly rude, I would probably end up saying something about it to you so that it might lessen the odds of you being likewise rude to others. Who am I to think I should do that?
The reason I am wondering about the humility thing is because I just found out that my husband's niece has decided that she is going to move from her apartment to her house the day before Easter and it bothers me. I can't imagine deciding that everyone who has said they will help must do so on a holiday weekend, let alone a religious holiday weekend. There is no way that I would think to do that. Settlement on the house is the 19th of March. Her lease on the apartment doesn't expire until the end of April. So, why would she pick a religious holiday weekend?
I do need to acknowledge and respect a very important date on the calendar between March 19th and April 30th - the first day of Trout season. No one, most of all her husband, can be expected to miss the first day of trout! Aaaarghhhhh!!!!!
See what I mean? Why should this frustrate me? Really?
Yet, it does. I have way too much of a problem with people being inconsiderate. How can I ever be as I should be if I think I have a right to judge situations? Just because I view that Saturday as the day the Lord is in His tomb, why should I think others should respect that day? After all, He isn't really in the tomb. He has risen. I know that is the reality and I know that is how others see the situation, yet it is a mournful time for me. Perhaps that is loopy, but that is how I feel.
Anyway - and this is the kicker - I can't do any of the moving, no matter what day they choose to move. So, why, oh why, should I be bothered by this? My part in it all is just finding a day between now and the move to make sloppy joes for the people moving them to eat. Someday that I am feeling better than usual, I'm going to throw some Manwich on browned hamburger and then freeze it for whichever date. Why do I care if she is being inconsiderate? Why do I think I can determine inconsideration on the part of anyone? Who am I to think I ought have opinions? Shouldn't we strive for true self-abnegation? Trust that God has a hand in everything? I just wish I could put myself aside. Blah. Peace.

No comments: