Friday, March 30, 2007

Thank you, God. Thank you.

Below is the content of an e-mail I received today --


DEAR GOD:

I want to thank You for what you have already done. I am not going
to wait until I see results or receive rewards; I am thanking you right
now. I am not going to wait until I feel better or things look better; I
am thanking you right now. I am not going to wait until people say
they are sorry or until they stop talking about me; I am thanking you
right now. I am not going to wait until the pain in my body dis-
appears; I am thanking you right now. I am not going to wait until my
financial situation improves; I am going to thank you right now. I am
not going to wait until the children are asleep and the house is quiet;
I am going to thank you right now. I am not going to wait until I get
promoted at work or until I get the job; I am going to thank you right
now. I am not going to wait until I understand every experience in
my life that has caused me pain or grief; I am thanking you right now.
I am not going to wait until the journey gets easier or the challenges
are removed; I am thanking you right now.

I am thanking you because I am alive. I am thanking you because I
made it through the day's difficulties. I am thanking you because I
have walked around the obstacles. I am thanking you because I have
the ability and the opportunity to do more and do better.

I'm thanking you because FATHER, YOU haven't given up on me.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Isn't that nice? How often do we miss opportunities to thank God? Every day? Every hour? Every minute? Every second? Every breath?
Lately, I've been trying to be consciously very thankful for a particular something(s). I am thankful for healing and have repeatedly prayed prayers of thanks for the healing, yet, even though I am consciously doing this, I think I missed giving thanks for a whole day. Imagine - if a person can't consistently offer thanks for one thing in her life of which she is actively trying to be mindful, there must be more instances of ingratitude in one day than there are grains of sand upon a beach. But, you know what? I am thankful for that. I am thankful that God loves us so much that He pours forth His bounty upon His nearly thankless creatures. I am thankful that we do not receive what we deserve. Does what I'm saying make sense? In a way it does but in another it doesn't. I can't comprehend God - I can only give thanks. May our worth never be judged based upon our degree of gratitude. Peace.

No comments: